Saturday, January 30, 2010

- HERO -

As usual, I surfed the net, searching for anything interesting to read. I love reading. Then, I stumbled upon this one website. It's called My Hero Project. Here's the link. It's a very interesting website. It tells the stories of people whose lives have touched the hearts of many. Its main mission is to provide positive role models to young kids.

One of the hero is Alicia O'Brien. She lost her life to brain cancer on 29th October 2007 at a very young age. She was optimistic even when she knew she would not live long enough. On one occasion, she fell on her butt from her wheelchair when she was trying to swing a bowling ball. For her, that must have really hurt but she found it funny and said, "Life is too short not to laugh at all to all the stuff that happen."

Another hero is Kitao Aya, the writer of the famous Ichi Rittoru no Namida; 1 Liter of Tears. At 15, she was diagnosed with Spinocerebellar Degeneration, a rare uncurable disease. Slowly, she lost her ability to walk and talk. Eating was difficult as she always choked. Her body became so weak that even if she caught cold, she could easily get pneumonia. And finally she was bedridden. She died at a young age too...she was only 25 years old.

In order to know the progress of her disease, her doctor asked her to write. As her hand writing became wobbly, her disease was progressing. Her body was weak, but her soul, her spirit was not. Her writings were then compiled into a diary called 1 Liter of Tears. It has sold more than 18 million copies wordwide. There were also drama and film about her, based on her diary. From her diary, Aya-san was known to be a fighter. She was never lost in her battle against her disease. It might took her physical abilities but never her spirits.

There are many other stories of heroes in this website. They are normal people just like me. Some of them are rich, some are poor. Some are healthy, some are not. Some are famous, some are just unsung heroes. Some are still alive...... some had long gone. But they share one thing in common; they are all heroes. Their lives, their stories, have touched many people in many different, unique ways. Mine too. As I thought life couldn't be any worse, these people whom I have never met, make me see life in a new perspective.

Here's a poem by Alicia O' Brien.

LEAVE IT TO HIM

I once heard a voice say,
Miracles happen everyday,
God lifts you up,
When life has you down.
Look towards His light,
For courage is found...

No matter what happens,
It's in His hands,
Just leave it to Him,
Coz God understands....


Aya-san wrote in her diary, 'People shouldn't dwell on the past. It's enought to try your best in all that you're doing now'. For some reason, I couldn't agree more.


* Going through their stories, I can't help but thinking, if I were in their shoes, will I be able to be like them? Will I be able to cherish life like they did? Nevertheless, I, personally believe that each and every human being is a HERO in our own way. Trust me.


No comments:

Post a Comment